Bellefonte Area Model UN students among best in the world
Bellefonte Area High School’s Model UN team recently returned from a competition in Boston that left them shining after competing against more than 1,300 students from around the world including those from schools in China, Mexico and Uzbekistan. Teacher Ed Fitzgerald said the group of more than 30 students was eligible to participate in the event after a team application was accepted. Students then held a series of fundraising events to help support the trip. The Boston Invitational Model United Nations Conference, or BosMUN, is a three-day simulation of the United Nations for high school students hosted by Boston University, which was held Feb. 9-11.
- Alex Hunzicker received the highest honor of Best Delegate for his portrayal of Marcus Crassus in the Roman Senate
- Max Theuer received Outstanding Delegate for his portrayal of Pompey in the Roman Senate
- Brian Feldman received Best Delegate for his portrayal of a Lord in his Ad-Hoc committee
- Jack Badger received Verbal Commendation for his work as Colombia in the Pan-American committee
- Halle Mitchell received Honorable Mention for her work as Dominican Republic in the Pan-American committee, which was done bilingually in English and Spanish.
Students also included in their trip a tour of Harvard University.